Monday, March 27, 2023

Current

Hello to all my regular readers! I know there are a number of you out there.
Thank you for your interest. 
 I had better get this blog up to date.  It has been a long time, but then a lot has happened.
We have a lot to be proud of since we started this trek in 1998.  We have walked nearly four thousand miles along the coast.  During that time I have had five operations on my legs and Colin has had three on his bladder.  We have had to contend with Foot & Mouth restrictions, financial problems when a mortgage got out of hand, bereavement and Covid restrictions.  Still we carried on when we could, but all the time we were getting older.
 By September 2021 we had reached Manorbier in South Pembrokeshire.  I had found the last few Walks extremely difficult, and on the way back from this particular Walk I had a near-collapse.  I realised that age and infirmity had overtaken me, and regrettably we decided to throw in the towel!  I could no longer cope with the roller-coaster nature of the coastal path.
My husband and walking companion, Colin, was also giving cause for concern with strange behaviour quirks.  But it was not until October 2022 that he was diagnosed with a rare form of Alzheimer's.  Since then he has gone rapidly downhill.  He can no longer drive, and walks only short distances in a shuffle.  His short-term memory is completely gone, he cannot take part in a conversation, he cannot remember even the layout of our home, thinks I am someone else and thinks he's not at home when he is.  He cannot carry out simple tasks like making a cup of tea.  He was also diagnosed with atrial fibrilation last October, and recently with heart failure which caused his hands and feet to swell alarmingly.
But all is not lost -- because my nephew, Gerry Clifton, has asked if he can start at Manorbier and complete our Trek back to Bognor Regis!  (He is only 30, so he has plenty of time before old age catches up with him!)  I was delighted to say "Yes!" so long as he takes loads of photos along the way so we can see the places we can no longer visit.  Hopefully he will also take over this blog.
Good luck, Gerry!
To all my readers, thank you for your interest in our venture.
Rosemary
PS  Go to   www.bognorregisbeach.co.uk  to see what is happening NOW just left of Bognor Pier! (On the website, click on  'Live Webcam')

10 comments:

Richard Gottfried said...

Hello Rosemary,

Just wanted to say what a great blog you've got. Just stumbled upon it via the Diamond Geezer blog at - http://diamondgeezer.blogspot.com/2009/02/canvey.html - he linked to you in a post about Canvey Island.

Great to see people making great use of their time, and everything the UK has to offer people on their travels. My wife and I are on a UK Tour of all the seasides AND all the Crazy Golf and Minigolf courses :-)

All the best with your travels,

Richard

Waltzing Matilda said...

Absolutely wonderful. I've just discovered your blog and it is now bookmarked. Love the commentary, love your spirit. I'm grateful when I can drag my husband off the golf course once a week for a couple of hours here and there. I'll be showing him your journey with a nudge.
Cheers and take care,
Fiona

Ruth Livingstone said...

Oh, how lovely to find you. I'm another coastal walker, currently in Lancashire. Glad you've started walking again. I've added a link to your blog from mine.
You can find me here: www.coastalwalker.co.uk

Jon Combe said...

Fantastic to hear you are back on the move. I hoped you would be able to complete your walk. Whilst the terrain may not be easy ahead at least route finding will be easy now there is a proper coast path almost all the way.

Cam MacRae said...

Hi, I'm enjoying reading your blog and looking at your photos. I would like your permission to use a particular photo of yours in a bilingual (Gaelic and English) newsletter that I edit. Will you please email me? I've checked the box below so you can see my email address. Thanks! Cam MacRae

Cam MacRae said...

Hi, I'm enjoying your blog and your photos. There is a particular picture I'd like permission to use in a bilingual Gaelic English newsletter that I edit. Will you please email me? I think I've clicked the right boxes and filled in the appropriate information below. Thank you, Cam MacRae

Dinky blogger said...

Came across your blog following your letter in an old edition of Countryfile. Keep up the good work.

Somewhere round about said...

Yay! I was a lurker here ( with another now defunct blog ) , Years ago!
How very nice to see you back

Ruth Livingstone said...

Hi Rosemary and Colin, sorry to hear you have had to abandon the coastal trail, but sounds like the right decision in the circumstances. You’ll never forget the wonderful places you’ve walked through and you’ve kept a great record of your walks on this blog. I think your new plan - to visit coastal places and do shorter walks - is an excellent idea. Best wishes, Ruth

docspot said...

Hi Rosemary. My wife and I are also pensioners walking the coast of UK. We are going clockwise and started at Berwick upon Tweed in Nov 2019 and have just reached Liverpool.

We have really enjoyed dipping into your blog and admire your detailed record. Much appears to have changed over the years since you started but even so we have consulted your blog for ideas on many occasions, albeit going the opposite way round

We are very sad that you have been unable to complete your walk but you have done brilliantly and we really admire your persistence.

If you are interested we are at justcoasting.home.blog. With best wishes.